Monday, April 2, 2012

Always a Jayhawk

With the Madness of March, I have turned into a psycho KU fan again. I've been a KU basketball fan for as long as I can remember. My love for KU stemmed from the time I was a child, and has grown stronger... maybe to the point of crazy. But I'm okay with that. And I hope you are, too.

So forgive me, world, if I want to scream from the hilltops and dance around like a fool. My Jayhawks have exceeded the expectations of EVERYONE, and even if they don't win tonight, we are playing in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. My heart is already in Lawrence (the only place I want to live if we ever move back to Kansas) and I wish I could be there to feel the intense spirit and share in the pride that I have for this team. Just like in 2008 when we beat UNC (which was enough for me!!) and took the championship nets down (I can't even remember who we beat... really, beating North Carolina was amazing!), I have this unbridled sense of excitement that is really hard to control. I woke Keaton up during the final minutes of the KU-OSU game Saturday night by apparently yelling too loud. So I'm at a loss of what to do tonight... I don't have the fan support I need to be my crazy KU-loving self and yell/jump over furniture/have a heart attack on the floor... this would not go over well with my KSU-Alum husband and sleeping child. And I'm sure Casey will want to keep his distance as I tend to flail around during the game (I accidentally punched him in the leg during one of the previous games and he hasn't come near me since while a game is on!). But alas, I will stay home and watch it all go down... win or lose, it's bound to be worth it. These boys have put up a tremendous fight this year, and have proved that we deserve to be where we are right now. A win would just be icing on the cake!!!

This craziness has been years in the making. From the days of Adonis Jordan and Mark Randall, to Ryan Robertson (I really wanted to marry him), to Jerod Haase, Jacque Vaughn, and countless others who made up a large chunk of my elementary, middle, and high school years.... from my 5th grade Halloween costume, to hours spent at the airport welcoming in the team... from going to the "other school" (which was a great school, by the way) and wearing Jayhawks under my Wildcat attire, and getting busted watching the KU games in my dorm room (remember, Chelsea??), to even marrying a KSU grad. I have made it through it all, and am proud to say that even if I didn't get to watch every game, or learn every player's name and background, I am still a FAN, and very proud to be one.

ROCK CHALK BOYS!! Let's do this!!!!!!!!

-Ashley

1 comment:

Patriot said...

Thank you for sharing your fond memories of KU b-ball! Ahhh...to reminisce on those days. I DEFINITELY remember your Q-T boyfriend Mr. Robertson. I remember all those guys. What a good team - what a good program they still have! And that's funny about the win against NC. I got in a mini-argument with a bartender that was serving my mom and I at Saturday's game. I totally forgot that wasn't the title game because that's the game that really mattered!