Saturday, March 31, 2012

Recovery, KU Basketball, and My Big Boy

So much has happened in the last week, and I meant to update earlier, but the week flew by and now I'm struggling to remember all the highlights. There were a few low lights (thanks to the crazy hormones and lots of tears Tuesday and Wednesday). I am back to 100% physically (as far as I know), and emotionally I'm stronger every day. It has helped to have my Mom here since last Saturday. I was supposed to rest this week, and with a few exceptions, I think I did pretty well. Mom played with Keaton, cooked, cleaned, did about a million loads of laundry, and kept me sane. I had a lighter class schedule this week, which helped... but I really have to focus ASAP because I've got at least 5 projects to take pictures for and I currently have no great ideas. Spring break is this week, though, and I'll have almost an entire day to myself to work on photos before we leave for our little family vacation next week! Woot!

Last Sunday, KU played Roy and the North Carolina Tarheels in the Elite 8, and pulled off one amazing win. Mom and I were so excited about it that (despite the fact that I should have been 'resting'), we started dancing around and Keaton followed suit. I think I will always remember that moment- Beating Roy, dancing with my kid and my Mom. It was pretty great! Even if we don't beat OSU today, I feel satisfied with the result overall. But if we DO win... that would be pretty freaking sweet. :)

Sunday was also a big milestone for Keaton, as we decided to transfer him to a 'big boy bed' since I wasn't supposed to lift him after surgery. He has done great!! Mom made a comforter and pillowcase for him out of a cute fleece material we found printed with airplanes and helicopters... he is so incredibly proud of this bed, and it's adorable. Sometimes he pretends to go in and sleep during the day, and always smiles when he says "big boy bed". I'm really glad he's done so well, because I assumed once he figured out he was 'free', he'd be all over the place. Luckily he's not been too adventurous... yet. :) Little boy is growing up!! He also went potty 3 (or maybe 4!) times in the last week in his potty. (I've said "potty" so much lately that I actually told Casey I was going to go potty before we left the house.)

Wednesday we took Keaton to a little airport diner not far from our house for breakfast last week, too. He absolutely loved it, and I'm sure we will go back again soon. He was screaming out the window, "Airplane!!! Helicopter!!!" (which he tends to pronounce 'hel-top-ter"... I love it. It makes me smile and laugh almost every time he says it!)

Casey and I went on a date last night... I ate a huge plate of crab legs (man, I missed those!!) and then we went bowling. I hadn't bowled since 2009. I suck just as badly as I did then. But we had fun together!! I beat Casey by one pin in the first game... and he beat me by many more in the second. It was a great time, though, and fun to go out together again. Hope to do it again soon!

That's all for me for now. Rock Chalk!!!!!!

-Ash

No comments: