Friday, August 21, 2009

The Haps

SO a lot has been going on around here, and I feel it's time for an update since last weekend. We made it home to Topeka around midnight last Friday. Saturday was spent doing a little shopping with my mom, going to visit Aaron Brumley at the Bookmobile (and making sure he was coming to the reunion that night!), and getting ready for the reunion itself. I think I was more nervous that Casey was. We got to Bullfrog's around 6 pm that night, and left around 10:45-11 pm. Of course parts of it were awkward, mainly because I either didn't know people, or I hadn't seen them in so long that it was sort of a strange conversation, but Casey enjoyed himself, which was most important. There were definitely cliques of people that all hung out together, so you could tell who hadn't really matured much since high school. It was a little different that we had expected, but overall, I think it was good that we went back.

Sunday morning, Casey and I met up with Lindsey & Sara at IHOP. We spent about an hour or so there, eating breakfast and having inappropriate conversations, as usual. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile, though... I definitely almost had milk come out my nose at one point. I miss hanging out with those girls- it's always nice to catch up with them, even if it's only for a few hours at a time. After breakfast we decided to go out for coffee, and we found out that Lindsey is going to enlist. She will probably be at boot camp in February. I think the shock of hearing this and the reality of it all hit me at once, and I lost it. I feel bad crying, but I am scared for her. I really hope everything works out and she will not be in harms way. It was sort of a sudden thing, so I don't really have many more details right now, but I'll update later. Definitely an emotional visit for me.

After having lunch at Texas Roadhouse with both sets of parents and Leslie, we headed back to Kansas City to catch our flight. It felt like the shortest trip we've taken to Topeka thus far. I spent the rest of the week trying to catch up energy-wise. Monday and Tuesday were pretty exhausting. It helped that Mom & Dad drove up to help out with finishing the basement. Dad painted a big chunk of the floor with mold-resistant paint. Mom cooked up a storm, as usual. Our tummies were very content with her accomplishments. :) I feel like I've eaten my weight in Chicken & Noodles and fruit this week! Just writing about this is making me hungry... time for lunch!

In other news, I got a phone call on Wednesday that my Friday class had been cancelled because not enough people enrolled, which has forced me to take the Tuesday/Thursday morning class. I can't tell you how utterly stoked I am about driving back and forth to COD twice a week, esp. when the winter weather kicks in. It looks like my weekly schedule will be the following this semester:

Monday- 10 am - 7 pm
Tuesday- Class until 11:30 am, lunch, then work 2-7 pm
Wednesday- I may have a day off! Which I will need for homework and cleaning!!!
Thursday- Same as Tuesday
Friday- Apparently until we get another part-timer, I'll start working Fridays again. :( I may also have to work the occasional Sunday if they can't find someone else. Yuck.

We'll see how I do this semester. I think I work better when I am busy because it forces me to prioritize my time... I just hope that it's not too stressful, and my car makes it through the winter. But I'll worry about that if/when I need to.

That's all for now... the next month is going to be insane so I'm trying to think ahead and make it a little less stressful for myself... if possible.

-Ash

2 comments:

Chimpsea said...

Whew! You guys are so busy! So did THS have a reunion too or just Casey's (Washburn Rural? I can't remember). I wonder if our 10 year will be clicque-ish, too. Probably.

You should post some pics of the Shedd! I think my mom went there when she was in Naperville/Downer's Grove a while back and I have always wanted to see it. I'm not a huge fan of the NC Aquarium.

Ashley said...

Hey girl! Casey's reunion (Seaman HS) was last weekend... mine (THS!!!!) is sometime next year. I don't know what to expect now that I've been to one... probably about the same. :) I hear that it's not until the 20 year reunion that people start to branch out of their groups and mingle with others. Should be interesting!!
I will definitely post pictures of Shedd! We had fun and basically walked around from 11 am - 6 pm when they closed. We saw it all! (I have blisters on my feet to prove it!!) :) I was disappointed in the aquarium in Charleston, too. Maybe you guys should check out the one in Atlanta- I've heard good things!