Sunday, August 30, 2009

Basement Project

Casey's grandparents (on the Hetrick side) are in town this week helping us finish the basement... or attempt to... before baby Hetrick arrives. I have to admit that I haven't been the most helpful down there because the faint paint fumes (I stayed far away during that process, by the way) and the saw dust are driving my nasal cavity insane!! I think I've used half a box of Puffs already since Friday. They have gotten a lot done, though. There is a skeleton of the guest room, and I'll bet by the time I get home from work this evening, the studs for the closet should be finished as well. We went to Menard's last night and bought a toilet, shower, and lumber for the bathroom. I wouldn't doubt that they will have at least one wall in the bathroom done by the time I get home. Fred and Doris were both up every morning and started to work by 7:30 am and they usually didn't stop working until around 8:30 pm, with the exception of stopping to eat lunch and dinner. They had wanted to stay until they finished everything, but I think that was before they realized how much we wanted to do. I think they are going to stay until Tuesday morning, and spend most of the day tomorrow roaming around the Chicagoland area... I'm glad, they deserve a day off! I hope I am remotely as active as they are when I am in my late 70s!

I will be glad when this project is finished. I don't think Casey or I realized how much really goes into something like this until we are so far into it.. there's no way out now! Unless we give up and hire someone to do it. I don't think that will happen until the electricity hook up needs to be done. It is kind of neat to walk downstairs now and start to see what it is going to look like. They worked on doing the chalk outline for the walls last night, so I got a better idea of how the bathroom will be set up. Hopefully we'll be able to get enough done so that when we have visitors in the future, they will at least have a place to sleep once we are done with the nursery (which we obviously haven't even started yet). So many projects!! Ahhhh!! Time is ticking.

Well, I guess I should get back to work now... and should probably eat some lunch... Peanut is letting me know that this orange I've been munching on for the last hour or so is definitely not cutting it right now. Only 3 hours until I get to go home...

-Ash

2 comments:

Chimpsea said...

I am impressed! Are you taking lots of pictures? Loved the dolphin and whale pics from Shedd. Man just reading about what you're doing on a daily basis makes me want to take a nap for you!

Ashley said...

Thanks!! I'm not taking as many pictures as one would expect, which is lame! I may do that this evening, actually... thanks for reminding me! :) We do seem to have a lot going on... trust me, I take a LOT of naps. :-D I'm glad you like the Shedd pics!!