Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm slightly pissed right now...

I am looking for a job right now, so I recently signed up on CareerBuilder.com to see what I could find in our area. Things were going fairly well- I applied for about 6 or 7 jobs, but didn't get much feedback. I then started recieving e-mails from random businesses that obviously had not read my resume, and they wanted to set up interviews with me. The e-mails were generic, at best. I figured that if they were legit, they would call me.
This morning, I received a phone call from a company in Woodridge. I applied for a receptionist job in that area this morning, so I thought it was the same company calling me back. They said they would like to set up an interview with me tomorrow morning. I spoke with the lady for a few minutes and got the location information, etc. When I hung up, I Googled the address so I could know where to go, and looked back at the application I sent in this morning for the receptionist position. The details didn't match up. I decided to investigate the company. When I put the info into Google, instead of getting a website with the company information, the links were about scam alerts for this company. Apparently they go on websites like CareerBuilder and Monster, and select people to interview to become insurance agents. According to the scam sites (and there were quite a few of them), they make you pay a fee to start, and then cheat you out of any bonuses you may get. The ridiculous turn-over rate was something that almost every single article talked about. I also checked out the phone numbers I received (both from the woman who called about the interview, and the number from our caller ID) and BOTH came up on scam alert-type websites. I just called them back to tell them that I was not interested in coming for an interview tomorrow.
It pisses me off, mainly because I was excited to finally get another interview, only to find out that it was not for a job I had applied for in the first place. I deleted my information on CareerBuilder.com just now so I can try to find jobs on my own... that way if I get into a scam, it'll be my fault for sending them information, and it won't be someone finding my information on the website and trying to screw me over.
Anyway, other than that, things are going well around here. Casey and I are excited to be in South Carolina in a few days! I look forward to seeing everyone again. I think I'll try to focus on that more than the jerks that are trying to fool me into interviews. I don't think I'd be a very good insurance agent as it is... so I'm glad that didn't work out. Grrrrr!!!!!

-Ashley

No comments: