Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I see a pattern forming...

So I have apparently been so busy that my blogging has suffered... I would rather tell you that than tell you that I haven't had much to write about! My day basically goes like this:

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday: Set alarm for 8:30. Try to do something productive around the house, but get tired and go back to sleep for awhile. Hit snooze often. Wake up, rush around to get ready for work. Go to work, attempt to get everything done before I leave, which normally fails because the phone is ringing off the hook and I have a ton of paperwork to get through before leaving at 7. Come home, eat dinner with Casey. Watch recorded episodes of House. Casey plays a computer game or works while I do whatever around the house... normally hang out with Charley, watch TV or do chores. Go to bed.

Tuesday: Set alarm for 8:30. Try to do something productive around the house, but get tired and go back to sleep for awhile. Hit snooze often. Wake up, rush around to get ready for school. Our printer broke recently, so I have had to stop by Walgreen's to pick up any pictures I had printed for class. Go to school. Come home. Attempt to get food on the table or figure out what we're doing for dinner. Wait for Casey to come home, then we eat dinner. Watch recorded episodes of House. Casey plays a computer game or works while I do whatever around the house... normally hang out with Charley, watch TV or do chores. Go to bed.

That pretty much sums up what's been going on the last week or two. The weekends have been pretty busy with company recently. In the last month, we've had people stay over at our place 3/4 of the weekends. This weekend we are headed to Allentown to see the Waldrups, Stamps, and Deutschs, which should be a lot of fun. I will take pictures and post them sometime next week. Hopefully I'll get time with all of the babies and will get some decent pics of them. We'll see! :)
Many people have asked about my job, so I thought I would ellaborate a little bit about what I do. Saying I'm a "part-time receptionist" does not even begin to cover what actually goes on there.
Normally I get to work and try to help my co-worker Michelle get things done as she gets bombarded with paperwork during the morning. I honestly don't know how she does it all. Business is really starting to pick up now, so the phone rings off the hook. My main duty is to answer phones, but sometimes there are so many other things going on or the phone rings back to back that it's difficult to do, especially when everyone leaves at 5 and I'm alone for 2 hours. Sometimes I get crazy questions and don't know how to answer them. Sometimes people call and only speak Chinese so I get to try to figure out what they want. (That only happened once, but it was so strange that we still talk about it occasionally.)
During a typical day, I do a lot of data entry. Normally I enter new listings into MLS, or I change the listing price on different properties. I also make four different types of packets for the agents in our office. Oh, I forgot to mention that we have over 100 agents that work out of our office, so the place is pretty busy. Sometimes I try to make packets but the phone rings off the hook, so I don't get anything done. That gets frustrating because making packets is not difficult at all, but I can never seem to get enough made. I stock and order office supplies for our branch. I'm just now getting used to how much I need to order. I stock the bathrooms as well, but luckily I don't have to clean them. I am in charge of updating a large notebook each day with updates about the properties in them. The agents on floor duty (who answer any general questions about properties, etc) use the book to answer said questions. I make appointments for agents (not in our office) to view listings our agents have. Sometimes that requires making phone calls to the owners of the property to make sure the appointment is doable. I also give out codes for Sentrilock if agents need them. I stamp all mail, and put new mail in the agents' mailboxes. I send faxes and let the agents know whenever they receive a fax. I help walk-ins. I am also in charge of closing the office when I leave at 7, so I lock all the doors, turn off computers, turn off the coffee pot, tidy up rooms and turn off lights. I realize I'm going into a lot of detail, but the more I think about my typical work day, the more I remember. Michelle says that in less than a month, one of the ladies we work with is going on vacation, so Michelle is going to take her place and I'm going to take Michelle's place. I have a lot more information to cram in my brain very soon... I will attempt not to be too overwhelmed, but I can't promise anything.

I guess that's about it for now... maybe you're sorry you asked about my job now that I've told you just about every aspect of it! ;)

Sorry I've slacked on the blog... but hopefully I haven't permanently lost those of you who read this. Mom, Dad... I know you're still out there because we talk about the blog. To anyone else out there, thanks for reading!! I should have some more interesting things to write about in the near future. :)

Love,

Ash

No comments: