Monday, May 9, 2011

Awkward... to say the least...

When I last left you, Keaton was waking up from a nap, and the repairman was here installing our new garage door opener. I got Mr. K dressed, and headed to the kitchen to fix us some lunch. As I was passing the door to the garage, I decided to peek outside and see if the guy (named Simon) needed anything. When I opened the door, I noticed that Simon was sitting on the floor of our garage with his back to us. He stood up quickly, and I saw that his hands were in his pants. He turned toward me and I realized that his fly was down and belt was unbuckled (no worries, I did not see any flesh, just underwear). He continued to turn toward me as he zipped his fly and buckled his belt, not really hiding what he was doing. He seemed startled, and I was pretty embarrassed, so I just backed into the mudroom and shut the door. I put Keaton in his high chair and texted Casey, unsure of what to do next. I couldn't get a hold of him, so I called my neighbor Cathy and let her know that the guy was here, and what had happened. As I chatted with her, I went around and locked all the doors, just in case. At that point I didn't know 1) what the heck he was doing out there, and 2) if we were safe, or what would happen next. After getting off the phone with Cathy, I called Casey and told him what had happened, and he told me to go out front with Keaton and try to see what the guy was doing, that way we wouldn't be stuck in the house if anything did happen. (I should mention that the garage door had been up the entire time, so anyone could see inside.) Cathy called back, and shortly after I switched over to talk to her, Simon knocked on the door to tell me he was finished. Cathy told me to stay on the phone with her. I grabbed Keaton and we went out to the garage, Cathy walking up just as we walked outside, so we wouldn't be alone. I shut the door behind me... accidentally locking us out of the house.

So there I stood, with a dude in my garage who had been doing whatever the heck he was doing with his pants unzipped, and we were stuck outside. I also left my wallet inside the house, so I wasn't able to pay him. I gave Casey a call (again) and he said he'd be on his way home to let us back in... meanwhile, my friend Kelley, who had been walking around the block, happened to walk by our house. She stayed with me while Simon packed his stuff and left, and until Casey came home to bail us out. It was a nice day out, so I was thankful that this didn't happen in the winter... we got a nice little play date with Kelley and Nolan while we waited.

After Casey got home, we thought it might be a good idea to call the company and talk to a manager about what had happened. There were three numbers to call, so I dialed the first one and asked for a manager. A familiar voice said, "I am the manager"... it was Simon. I got freaked out and hung up the phone. He called right back, but I didn't answer because I didn't know what to do. Casey and I were discussing what we should do next when he called again. Casey talked to him, and calmly and politely told him what the problem was. His explanation for what happened was that he was up on the ladder and his belt got caught, and he recently lost a lot of weight so he was sitting on the floor readjusting his belt when I walked out. I guess I was still a little skeptical because I wasn't entirely sure 1) why he was sitting on the floor to adjust it, 2) why his zipper was down when he was doing that, and 3) why he didn't zip up, etc., while he was turned away from me. It was not like he tried to hide much- he zipped and buckled his pants as he was facing me. Anyway, I don't know. I would like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, because in reality, he was very professional otherwise. After Casey got off the phone with him, Simon's office manager called us and apologized for the incident. He said he had worked with Simon for a long time, and he'd never had any complaints. I really, sincerely hope that he was indeed just adjusting his belt, or whatever. All I know is that it was awkward as hell, and I am still glad I went with my gut instinct. You really never can be too careful when strangers are in your house. Ugh... what an afternoon.

I guess that about sums up my day. I went out this evening and had a few spare keys made, too... something that we should have done long ago. I guess I'll probably never know if I did the right thing, or what was really going on out there, I just know I hope nothing like that ever happens again!

That's plenty for one day.

-Ash

No comments: