Friday, May 6, 2011

I can't get no sleep in a quiet room...

My child refuses to sleep. I am staring at him in the monitor right now, banging his pacifier on the sides of the crib like he's in prison or something. I believe he's going through yet another growth spurt, and he's getting tall enough now that it's hard for me to hold him, especially when he wiggles! I don't see this getting easier, but I sure hope for a miracle in that regard!! I'm one worn out Mommy right now.

He didn't sleep well in Galveston, either. I didn't know how he'd do in the Pack 'N Play, since he is normally only in them when we travel to Kansas or when I'm doing something around the house and need to keep him contained for a few minutes. Casey and I didn't really think about how difficult it would be to share a room with him, but we found out quickly on night 1 of the trip. We turned off the lights, turned on Keaton's sound machine, and laid him down. Seconds later, he was standing up staring at us, wondering why we were still in the room. Casey and I ended up hiding on the other side of one of the beds until he fell asleep. In retrospect, we should have gotten him his own room. We got through the first night, but decided we would try to get a room next to ours for him so we could all get sleep. At that point we were on the 2nd floor of the hotel, and we were lucky enough that the monitor allowed us to go all the way to the business center downstairs, so we had a bit of freedom after Keaton fell asleep, normally around 6:30 p.m.. The next evening, the manager told us he could move us to the 4th floor where there were two rooms next to each other. Yay! We gathered our stuff together and moved it up to the 4th floor, only to find out that the room we were supposed to move into had a dead card reader. The manager told us he would get it fixed right away. About 45 minutes later, we hadn't heard any news about it yet, so Casey went back down to see what was going on; They couldn't fix the door after all. The manager offered to let us have a room farther down the hallway, but I vetoed that idea after hearing a story about the hotel losing power earlier in the week. I couldn't help but worry about Keaton being in another room, in a place where multiple people had access, and the power going out. (I found out later that the rooms would still unlock if the power was out, but at the time, it wasn't something I was willing to risk.) We gave up and decided to try sharing a room again. He still woke up every 3-4 hours, but it was managable. Saturday night we went to bed super early- probably 8:30- and I'm glad we did because the power went out around 11:45 p.m.. I woke up to the sound of sirens and people yelling in the hallway and the room feeling like a sauna. I woke Casey up to tell him what was going on, and he went out in the hall to find out what to do. Turns out the fire trucks were there because people got stuck in the elevator when the power went out. Casey was able to fall back to sleep quickly, but I couldn't, and ended up listening to some teenagers in our hallway playing around, screaming, and slamming doors until about 1 a.m.. Luckily it didn't wake Casey or Keaton up at all. Keaton woke up around 1:30, ate, and then went back to sleep. I had just drifted off when the power came back on, around 2. What a long, long night. I was thankful that Keaton had a decent night, though... until we switched hotels on Sunday. He ended up sleeping in bed with us the final 2 nights we were there because he absolutely refused to sleep. I guess I don't blame him... that Pack 'N Play doesn't look comfortable. Here's a picture of him passed out in our bed the morning we left to come back to Chicago:


Alright, I am done complaining about lack of sleep! (At least for this entry, anyway...) We did a lot of fun things while we were in Galveston, including:

  • Eating amazing food
  • Playing on the beach
  • Feeding sting rays
  • Seeing our friends Beau & Caroline and their two adorable daughters
  • Going to the Houston Zoo
  • Swimming
  • Went to see dogs at Bark in the Park in downtown Galveston
I know I am forgetting something. We drove to basically every side of the island and saw a ton of boats, birds, beach houses, and oil refineries. :) In all, it was a really nice trip with my boys. Probably my favorite evening was when we went to Benny's On the Beach and ate outside. I had crab claws (crab season started while we were there... hooray!!!!) and stuffed myself while Keaton chased seagulls. Then the three of us went for a walk on the beach. I took this picture, which I believe is my favorite recent pic of my boys. Aren't they adorable??

If I remember any more details I'll try to add them to the next entry. Now I am going to rest my tired brain and hope that Keaton sleeps better as the weekend goes on... especially for Mother's Day! That would be greeeeeat. :)

Love,

Ash

No comments: