Tuesday, March 26, 2013

On our own

Yesterday would have been my due date... Today the tiny men are five weeks old! They are really doing well. They continue to eat and grow- Nik has got to be five pounds now, and Rowan is close behind. Nik has outgrown most of the preemie clothes, which has been fun because I've gotten to use some of Keaton's old newborn stash. It brought back a lot of good memories to go through them...I don't think they will need any clothes for a long time!

Next week will be Casey's first full week at work since the twins were born. I am nervous for him not to be here- especially on Mondays and Fridays, but hopefully I can handle it. De left last Thursday, so we have been without help from family members since then. Not going to lie- balancing three small children is tough. The times when the twins are both crying at once and Keaton is yelling for me have got to be the hardest so far. I follow the advice another Mom of multiples gave me, and attend to the most dire need first. The difference between Keaton and the twins is that I didn't let Keaton cry...I don't do the same with Rowan and Nik.  A little crying is fine, and I try to get to them as soon as I can. It's tough when I'm alone and have to feed them, though. Changing two diapers, getting my nursing pillow and supplies ready, picking both up and getting them to start eating, burping both, having them eat again, burp again, and then keeping them upright for thirty minutes either by holding them or putting them in their car seats so the don't spot up all over the place...the processed is a little exhausting. But somehow, I'm doing it. I still have to bottle feed them at least a few times each day so they can get extra calories through formula supplementation, so I'm not sure how I'll do that on my own yet, but we'll figure it out. I figure if I can tandem nurse them by myself, I can make it happen.

I will try to keep better record through the blog once I get a routine established. I am so tired when I sit down that I forget about blogging and just want to rest. It's rare moments like right now that I have the chance and actually take it.

Today the boys go in for head ultrasounds at 10. Casey is taking Keaton to school early so he can make a meeting at 8, so the twins and I will be on our own to get to the hospital and meet him for the appointment. Should be an adventure for us! I'm hoping for the best!

More later...hopefully not too much later, though.

Ash

No comments: