Thursday, October 3, 2013

No more nursing? :(

So the last post was so long that I decided to update on other happenings, besides the funny things my oldest says. :)

Here's what is on my mind right now. It's about nursing, so if you have no interest in it, it may be best to skip this post.

It looks like I'm going to have to stop nursing the twins, because they are taking too much of the nutrients I need to stay healthy. I would have to eat 4000+ calories each day just to maintain my current weight, let alone trying to gain any. Nursing is something I wanted to do for the first year, to keep them as healthy as possible (especially since big brother will undoubtedly bring germs home from school). So my option may just be to pump (which I'm not thrilled about because I'm kind of lazy and hate having to wash so many bottles, etc., all the time). The doctor mentioned pumping and supplementing the bottles with extra calories for the boys (sounds like the first couple of months of their lives). I'm bummed. I'm waiting on a call from my doctor today to see what my blood test results were from yesterday. I'm nervous that they are going to find something wrong with my thyroid or worse. The consequences of continuing to nurse are pretty straightforward- there really isn't much of a way to do it (unless I somehow were able to eat all the time). I don't want to hurt myself long-term, of course. Getting bone fractures and heart problems really doesn't sound like anything I'd like to have. So I guess we are moving on to the next chapter of feeding these big guys. I'm sad, but feel like it's probably a good time to move on... especially with Rowan's two little teeth coming in, and Nik working hard to get some of his own.

I hate that they are growing up so fast. But we'll work it out. Not sure what is ahead for all of us!

-Ash

No comments: