Thursday, August 12, 2010

Motherhood at 6 months


Six months ago today, I became a Mother. I am truly amazed at how much life has changed, and how much better it is with Keaton around. Yes, we don't go out as much. Yes, we don't get as much sleep. But even the sleepless nights are totally worth it because he is such a blessing to us.

I have learned so much in six months, yet sometimes I still feel like it's my first day. The boy is growing and changing right before my eyes. Every day I think, how could I possibly love him more? But I always do. Sometimes I kiss his cheeks and get this overwhelming sense of pride. I made this kid! That is so cool! By far the best project I have ever been a part of... he is one amazing little man.

I can't imagine life without him now, and barely remember what it was like before he came along. Heck, I barely remember how tiny he was 6 months ago! I am glad we have video of it because I wouldn't believe it just looking at pictures. Now he's got this little personality that gets clearer every day. He loves to laugh and be tickled. He hates taking naps. He is (still) addicted to his binky. He smiles almost every time he sees a giraffe. He thinks Daddy is about the coolest thing around. He could play peek-a-boo for hours. Standing on two feet almost always brings a smile to his face. He can recognize family members on Skype! He smiles when he looks in the mirror at himself... and I can't blame him. I smile every time I look at him, too... even when he's upset, or smacking me in the face, pulling my hair, nose, or lips... it's so fun to see him explore and learn.

I can go back and read my blog entry from 2/11/2010 when I thought the kid was never coming out, and sometimes I wish I could talk to myself and try to prepare the pre-motherhood Ashley for the road ahead. I think I would tell her that things are going to be tough at first, but the rewards are so great and so worth it- just get through those first few weeks and things will get better all the time. We had trouble with nursing, then reflux, and a few other things in between, but we have come a long, long way. Now I have this beautiful, smart, exuberant baby boy who is half a year old. I am so thankful to be his Mommy... he has made my life better than I ever thought it could be.

I know the next six months hold a lot for us, too. I look forward to reading this blog entry in six months and saying, "Wow, I had no idea what I was in for!" and I know I will still be just a proud, just as busy, and probably about as sleep deprived. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Ashley

No comments: