Sunday, November 18, 2012

"Modified Bedrest"

"Modified Bedrest"... What does it mean? I am still trying to figure that out, exactly. We went back to the doctor on Thursday and found out that, luckily, my cervix has stayed the same over the week, and the boys still look just fine. (Newest 3D/4D ultrasound pics on Flickr now!) We got a bunch of additional pictures of them, which is always nice (although I haven't seen the bill for this whole thing yet... [gulp]). I am staying on the progesterone indefinitely now, and am limited to a bit of walking, no lifting, and strongly encouraged to lay horizontally whenever I can, to avoid putting pressure downward on my cervix. So, neat. I can tell you this much: Bedrest is BORING. I'm not even fully on it yet, and I haven't even experienced it for a full week, but I am already wondering how I will make it through without going nutty. I also haven't figured out how to do this whole thing with a toddler and large dog. My amazing friends have been very gracious and have taken Keaton (and even Riese) for an hour or so at a time to allow me to rest. I hate not being able to be as involved in things with Keaton, but he's been awesome, with the exception of a few crazy meltdowns. They are to be expected, though- things are changing quite a bit already for him, and that has to be hard. But he's proving to be a very sensitive, courteous, and independent little boy no matter what. Here are a few things he's done in the last few days:

"Mommy, you're broken. You're breaked. I get my doctor kit." Next thing I know, he's got a thermometer on my elbow and says, "It says eight pounds." Later, I was laying on the couch and he pulled the blanket off me and said, "It's time to get your jammies on!" then pulled me into my bedroom, found pajamas, and tried to dress me. Today he decided that he wanted a granola bar, so he went into the kitchen, got the box by himself, got out a bar and said, "Mommy, you like a granola bar too?" and brought one for me. He asks me if I want the 'heater' (back massager that the boys got me for my birthday) for my back and even tries to turn it on for me. This guy is great. :) I think I'll be in good hands for the rest of my life. 

I would imagine you will start hearing more from me over the course of this bedrest thing. I will try my best not to go crazy, as I will need my sanity for when the boys arrive and will need all the rest I can get until then. So... here goes nothing. Hopefully I can avoid full bedrest entirely, or at least for a few more months so I can actually move around and be as involved as I can be for as long as possible. Especially with the holidays coming up, I would really like to be able to see Keaton visit Santa, among other things. One day at a time. One week at a time. Here's hoping for at least ten more awesome, crazy, possibly (maybe even hopefully) boring weeks ahead, and to some healthy little baby boys.

-Ashley

No comments: