Thursday, May 31, 2012

Johnny said it best.

Today I'm listening to new and old songs by John Mayer. That man as quite the way with words. I feel like I can relate to something in almost every one of his songs during various points in my life. Here are some of the lyrics that stick out to me:

*****

"I rent a room and I fill the spaces with
Wood in places to make it feel like home
But all I feel's alone
It might be a quarter life crisis
Or just the stirring in my soul"  -Why Georgia

"By the time I recognize this moment
This moment will be gone
But I will bend the light, pretend that it somehow lingered on"  -Clarity

"Someday I'll fly
Someday I'll soar
Someday I'll be so damn much more
Cause I'm bigger than my body gives me credit for"  -Bigger Than My Body

Read the lyrics to 3x5, Something's Missing, Gravity... I can't quote just one part because I like them both so much in their entirety.

"So I'll check the weather wherever you are
'Cause I wanna know if you can see the stars tonight" -Split Screen Sadness

"And if you never stop when you wave goodbye
You just might find if you give it time
You will wave hello again" -Wheel

"And when you trust your television
What you get is what you got
Cause when they own the information, oh
They can bend it all they want"  -Waiting on the World to Change

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword
Like punching under water
You never can hit who you're trying for"  -Belief

"So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game to find away to say that life has just begun"  -Stop This Train... pretty much all the words in this song speak to me, but that one does most.

"When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The waking up is the hardest part"  -Dreaming With a Broken Heart

"I'm in repair, I'm not together but I'm getting there..." -In Repair

*****

I love songwriters that have true meaning and emotion in their lyrics, and John Mayer certainly does that. He's not hard on the eyes, either. :)

-Ash

No comments: