Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Feedback

I just spent a solid hour reading various friends' blogs and Facebook stalking to see what people are up to. I'm not entirely certain why, but it hit me... people post on Facebook, and blog, and Tweet, because we thrive on feedback. Or maybe just hearing ourselves 'talk'. Either way, we hope someone out there is going to read what we write, and while positive feedback is normally preferred, some of us will take what we can get.

I am no exception. It's like Christmas for me when someone comments on a post or photo. I'd like to think that I don't fish for comments, but occasionally I will find myself contemplating for a ridiculous amount of time about what to write in my status update, thinking about the feedback I might get from it. For this reason, I have considered making a Twitter account recently. I realize this is probably a terrible idea for several reasons... there are plenty of things I should be doing instead. I am already involved in enough junk online. But the idea of people actually 'following' me, and being somewhat interested in what I'm saying, makes it very tempting. I talk myself out of it on a regular basis because I am convinced that only certain people can stomach comments about Keaton, the weather, etc., before they block or un-friend me. But there's another part of me that wants to write out the random thoughts I have to see if anyone else can relate. Are we all just trying to feel 'normal'? Maybe that's why I do it... I'm not sure.

There are people in the world like Charlie Sheen who are insane, and society thrives off watching/listening to him become even more of a train-wreck... that's why he broke the world record for most Twitter followers in the least amount of time. But he is famous- something I never hope to be. Do people care what he's saying? Probably not- they just want to hear him rattle off crazy stuff. But he is doing it because he thrives off feedback, too. Did I just compare myself to Charlie Sheen? I'll let you be the judge. (Keep in mind, positive feedback is preferred...) ;)

Alright, that's enough for one day.

-Ash

No comments: