Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Just one of those days...

I'm changing it up today. Here goes nothin'...

What A Day

I woke up this morning and rolled out of bed,
I couldn't get rid of the fuzz in my head.
For the first time in ages I got plenty of rest
But wanted to sleep more, which is what I do best.

I tried and I tried to keep my eyes open
And Keaton was playing, I guess he was hopin'
That I would play with him, but alas, I could not.
My eyelids were heavy... but I gave it a shot.

I sat on the couch and watched Keaton play...
I thought, 'Just keep moving... it's better that way.'
But just as I started to wiggle my feet
I dozed off again. This sleep's got me beat!

I thought maybe Keaton would take a nap, too
As he rubbed his red eyes, I shouted "Woo hoo!"
So I laid him down, and I laid down as well.
But from his crib, I heard Keaton yell.

So into his room I went with a rush.
"It's time for sleep, little man... please hush!"
But he refused, and I realized at last...
My time for a nap had officially past.

I got us both ready for our swimming class
And chugged some hot coffee, hoped the feeling would pass.
Then I looked at the clock, oh my gosh, we are late!
That is what happens when I procrastinate!

We hopped in the car and were on our way
To the state-of-the-art Plainfield YMCA.
Into the building we ran in a hurry
But the line to check in was so long... now I worry!

Will we have enough time to get ready for class?
Will I hurry too much, slip and fall on my ass?
No, that can't happen. I just have to be quick.
I have to be careful, though the clock goes 'tick, tick'...

Then the line started moving and we flew down the hall
Past the daycare and people playing basketball.
I opened the locker room door and I ran.
I got Keaton ready as fast as I can!

We opened the door and went out to the pool
But got stopped short... it was going to be cool!
And not as in 'neat'... the pool's pump was dead.
We must swim in the old, cold, deep pool instead.

We stepped in and gasped, "Oh my GOSH, it is COLD'!"
And we tried our best to do as we were told.
We sang all our songs and jumped up and down
But the water was deeper- I thought I might drown.

Luckily, though, we got through the class.
We got out of the pool and then my little ass
Went as fast as it could to get towels and get warm.
To the locker room we went, as the norm.

Then a lady with three kids we see every week
Stood in front of her locker, but did not speak.
And Keaton walked over and started to play
With the lock on her locker, so I pulled him away.

But the lady looked angry, I didn't know why
She threw open her locker and let out a loud sigh.
And the locker door was only inches away
From hitting Keaton in the face while at play.

I looked at her, didn't know what to say.
Maybe she too was having a bad day?

She continued to throw things around and I froze.
She is lucky I didn't punch her in the nose.

I thought of the kids and what they would say
So I bit my tongue... it was better that way.
But I wondered... it bugged me... what crawled up her butt?
I asked my friend, "Wow, was she rude, or what?"

We stood there in silence, then I picked up my dude.
"Don't be like that lady, bud... man, was she rude!"
We left the building, but I just couldn't shake
The rudeness of people and the impression they make.

I drove us both home, the chick still in my head.
How should I have handled that? What could I have said?
It's a tough situation when it comes to your child.
I have a tough time not getting too riled.

I'm sure if I'd napped I'd know just what to say
But my brain is all mushy... it has been all day.

I hope there's no next time, so I don't have to guess.
Then my head will be clearer and not such a mess.

To the rude little lady-hope your day gets better
Hope you get to get out and enjoy the nice weather.
Hope everything today goes off without a hitch...
Just remember, dear woman; Karma's a bitch!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Go, Ashley, it's your birthday, not really, but anyway. :p