Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Next Hetrick

No, don't get all excited... I am NOT pregnant. I'm talking about the next 4-legged Hetrick. I wonder if anyone's heart rate (Mom, Dad) went up reading that title? Not very nice of me... ;)

At any rate, we recently found out that our friend from South Carolina who lives in Illinois now happened to find a 4 month old American Bulldog, and he wondered if we were interested in taking her because his apartment complex had some issues with it. We (read: Casey) did extensive research on the breed, and found that while they are very loyal and are generally good with kids, they tend to have a bit of dog aggression. We were looking into other options for our friend because we didn't want to just turn him down, but it turns out that it worked out for the best- in the week he and his girlfriend have spent with the pup, they have gotten attached to her, and she to them. So instead of meeting up with them tomorrow to see how she did with Keaton, etc., we are going to meet up with them and just visit and let Keaton play with her for fun. All this talk about dogs has gotten the ball rolling for Casey and I, and I think we are almost ready to get another one.

During this process, I have realized a few things. 1) My feelings about Charley Brown have been just below the surface, and it didn't take much for them to appear. 2) I highly doubt we will ever find another dog as special, loving, and perfect as Charley was to us. I miss him SO, SO much, and I think about him every single day. Lately, though, it's been a little tougher for me. Going on a walk for the first time when the weather warmed up was hard because it reminded me of our family walks with Mr. Brown. Walking into PetsMart was especially tough because just about everything reminds me of him. Today we went into Two Bostons, a local pet boutique, where we used to take him. We didn't know they were having pictures with the Easter Bunny at the shop, so the place was packed with people, kids, and dogs. It was a bit chaotic, but so much fun to watch Keaton get excited about all the 'doggies' everywhere. Then a woman came in with a beautiful Boxer named Max, and wouldn't you know, the tears start flowing. I had to step aside and contain myself. That is the first Boxer I have been up close and personal with since we said goodbye to Chuck. Even writing about it now is hard for me... but I realize I need to deal with these feelings and sort of embrace them so it will not be as difficult next time. (Sigh.) I hate being so Emo sometimes. But it is what it is.

Casey and I are thinking about looking at the local Boxer rescue site this evening. It would be great to give one a good home, and maybe look into getting one that is already potty trained, etc. so it will not be as difficult (hopefully) having a toddler and a young dog around. I also don't think potty training a kid and a dog is something that sounds very enjoyable to me. Just sayin'... I have enough on my plate! ;-)

I guess that's all for now. I will update more on our doggie endeavors as they progress. In the meantime, I am enjoying a nice weekend with my boys... one of whom has already passed out for the night. (Second night in a row that Keaton's been asleep by 5:30!) I think we might go to sleep early tonight as well... the weather is crummy and Case and I both didn't sleep so great last night, but I'm glad he's back from his L.A. trip, even if he did get home about an hour later than expected due to a flight delay. R&R time starts... NOW.

-Ash

1 comment:

Lilli O said...

Aww...I did about lose my breathe for a second..haha!

I know the feeling, although ours didnt pass away, that would be harder, but I miss our other Jack Russell that we had to give away. I always think about him and still have pictures of him. I still find myself saying our dog(S), and I still find myself including him when I talk about our dogs in general. He was a great dog, just not a great furry brother to Mackenzie. Anyway, whatever you choose to do next, I hope you find comfort in knowing that yes, you can find another furbaby, but he/she will never replace Charley Brown and it's okay. You can always think and talk of him. It's definitely allowed. You can even still celebrate his birthday!