Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Nap time for Keaton = Blog time for Mommy

Oh, yesterday... one for the books. I should have called it Medical Monday. Mom's surgery was in the morning, and ended up going great, thankfully. She is already on the mend and sounds very upbeat, which is nice to hear! (I doubt it's the pain meds talking, although I'm sure that helps a little!) :-D I've chatted with her 3 times since the surgery and she sounds better each time. Woo hoo!

In other news, Keaton did not have the greatest afternoon yesterday. He woke up from his (two hour!) nap and we came out to the living room to play. Suddenly he took off toward the kitchen, and going a slightly faster speed than he usually does, ended up going too fast and face-planted on the hardwood floor in the dining room. Instant bloody lip. The hardest part was trying to calm him down and see if he had just split his lip open or if he'd knocked any teeth loose or out. Luckily it was just a cut, but it took me forever to try to hold him still, clean off the blood, and figure out what the damage was. He cried for almost 10 straight minutes. I ended up calling Casey, and the pediatrician, just to tell them what happened and to see if the Ped thought we should come in or not. He didn't pass out or get sick at all, thank goodness... just had this horribly puffy, bright red and purple lip for the rest of the day. He wouldn't let me put ice on it, so I ended up giving him so ice cream to take the swelling down. We went outside awhile later and one of the neighbors gave him a banana popsicle, which took the swelling down even more. He loved it, of course. His lip looks much better today. What a scare, though! I think I did pretty well, all things considered, and managed to keep calm(ish) during the whole ordeal. It made me think about something worse happening, and how I would get him into the car and to the ER if I needed to. Hopefully I never do, of course, but I went through a procedure in my head so I can have a game plan if it ever does happen. And if he takes after my husband (Love you, Babe!!), I'm sure we'll be at the ER at least a few times during toddlerhood.

Today we went to Keaton's music class at the library, which is a lot of fun. Keaton and his friend Nolan are the second youngest kids in the class, and while they can play a few instruments and occasionally clap and dance, they are pretty much in their own little worlds the majority of the time. Both boys became more interested in pushing around a little blue chair near the end of class, so Kelley (Nolan's mom) and I ended up spending our time chasing the little guys around instead of singing. My kid became slightly obsessed with another little boy (young enough to be in a carseat almost the whole time) and after each song he would walk across the room to babble at him. It was pretty cute, but it ended up wearing me out trying to wrangle him and take him back to our spot in the circle after EVERY SINGLE SONG! I guess I can just be glad that he's social. :)

We have our last swimming class tomorrow... I'm a little sad, but I know we'll have plenty of opportunity to swim this summer, and we may enroll him in another class where they teach water safety instead of staying at the Y. I will miss our instructor, though... and the fabulous family pool. :-/

I guess that's all for now... hopefully no more injuries to report in the near future!

-Ash

No comments: