Tuesday, February 19, 2013

And...I'm in labor!

What an afternoon! I'm in Labor and Delivery right now. I went in for the NST at 12:15 today, which was horrendous and took forever. I asked my OB if we needed to do the Beta Strep test today, and I'm glad I did. He did the test, and while he wasn't going to check me for dilation, he decided to anyway. He said, "Even if you are starting to dilate, we wouldn't send you to the hospital unless you are 6 cm dilated." [Checks me. Laughs.] "You are 6 cm dilated."

I call Casey, who was in a meeting...text him to call me. I tell him we are headed to the hospital! Mom and I scurry home to grab a few things, including my pre-packed hospital bag. Then we head to the ER.

So now I'm at 5-6 cm dilated, 80-90% effaced, and contractions every few minutes, but I haven't made significant changes so far...just contractions that have picked up in intensity. Dr. Josupait is on-call now, and he's who delivered Keaton, so I'm in good hands if this happens during his shift. Dr. Anderson is on call tomorrow, and I like her, too. I sort of hope they come while Josupait is here. I missed Dr. Vierling's shift- got to chat with him right before he left at 5.

My contractions are picking up quite a bit. Weird how I was home and didn't feel much before my OB appointment, then suddenly I'm in L&D with some pretty good contractions now. I wonder what is going to happen!! Today? Tomorrow? I want to get up and walk around! The pain I feel with these is similar to the ones when my water broke with Keaton, but they don't last as long. Maybe my pain tolerance has gone up...who knows! The Hetricks are flying here tomorrow to avoid the big snow storm headed their way. I'm not sure what Dad will do, but we hadn't called him yet because we didn't really have answered about what was going on at the time...in a way, we still don't...I just wait and see. The boys will certainly spend some time in the NICU so it's not like anyone can really see them, besides Casey and I.

I hope this happens fast and I'm not hanging out in the hospital for days! Only time will tell. And...another contraction. Eek! Man I'm hungry. My family is down in the cafeteria now, eating dinner. I haven't eaten since 11:30 a.m. and I'm starving! Oh well...maybe the next meal I eat will be a worry-free one without glucose tests. I'm so glad to be done with NSTs (as far as I know). Sorry I'm scatter brained. I was glad that I wrote from the hospital after I had Keaton because there was a lot I forgot. I'll try to update asap!

-Ash

Okay, I'm at least 8 cm dilated now, epidural in, contractions are steady and I can't feel them at all. Doc broke Baby A's water. Casey is taking a power nap. I'm relaxed but wound up enough not to be able to rest! This is happening!!

No comments: