Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Twins Arrive: The Birth Story

After what seems like forever, the twins have finally arrived. I figured I would regret not writing the details, and several people have asked, so here you go! I’m going to start at the beginning of the day because the last entry was a bit jumbled.

So the day started out just like any other day. Keaton went off to school, I took a nap, and then got up and showered to get ready for my OB appointment at 12:15. The NST was just as terrible as before. The boys wouldn’t cooperate, and I couldn’t keep them on the monitors at all. Finally Robin, my awesome nurse at the OB, came in and sat with me until we got readings that would satisfy Dr. Olsen. Once he cleared me (I think we’d been there for well over an hour, maybe an hour and a half) I got set up in a room to do the Beta Strep test. He did that, and then decided to check me for dilation, even though he wasn’t going to. He said, “Dilation is normal right now… we will only send you to the hospital if you are dilated to 6.” Checks me. Laughs. “You are dilated to a 6. Grab your bags and go to the hospital as soon as possible!” So Mom and I fly home, grab things from the house, and head to Edward. I called Casey, who was in a meeting, and ended up having to text him, “Going to the hospital, 6 cm dilated”… so we met him at the ER. I was admitted around 3, was dilated to 5-6, and started having contractions frequently right away. They got worse and worse as time went on. Mom picked up Keaton from school, and shortly after they got to the hospital, she, Keaton, and Casey went downstairs to get some dinner… I was jealous. I hadn’t eaten since 11:30 in the morning, right before I went to my OB appointment. They came back and hung out with me as my contractions got more intense. Mom decided to take Keaton home, and shortly afterward Dr. Josupait came in to check me- I was dilated to an 8. He broke Baby A’s bag of water, and said to go ahead and get the epidural then because we may not have much time left… it’s a good thing I did! It kicked in and I felt pretty good. Things continued to progress… by then it was almost 11 p.m. and Dr. Josupait came back again to check me- he said I was fully dilated and at 0 station- he could feel Baby A’s head. So everyone suited up, and I just laid there, comfortable and just observing the chaos. I didn’t really feel much, but a little pressure at that point… no pain. Then they wheeled me off to the operating room (just in case I needed an emergency c-section). I remember the huge circular lights and all the people running around me. There must have been 10 in there at a time. At least one nurse per kiddo, my anesthesiologist, my OB, a neonatologist named Dr. Colvert (that I really like a lot), and at least a few others assisting with the birth. Just as soon as they transferred me to the table (and someone helped me with my right leg which had gone totally numb), I put my feet in the stirrups and felt Baby A pretty low in my abdomen. Dr. Josupait told me not to push, and I said, “I’m not!” He said, “I know!!” and we laughed as Nikolaus Evan slid himself out enough that Dr. Josupait had to hold him in for a second… the boy was ready to come out! I didn’t push AT ALL. He came out crying and they took him to the first table to be dried off and examined. Casey went over to check things out. Next thing I know, Dr. J is reaching inside to get Rowan Elliott, who was breech. He tried turning him (again, thank God for the epidural!) and didn’t succeed, so he pulled him out breech. It took a little more suctioning for him, but shortly afterward we heard gargled crying. Rowan was 8 ounces smaller than Nik. He has had a bit more difficulty breathing so they’ve had to be more invasive with him, but today both boys went #2 and even ate a little bit, which is wonderful! I’m guardedly optimistic about their improvements because I hear that NICU babies can go back and forth pretty quickly and have lots of ups and downs while they are there. I know Nik had a decent amount of reflux yesterday, and Rowan has had his oxygen intake adjusted a few times, but when we peeked in earlier they were doing better. 

It looks like I may get released on Friday morning. It will be hard to leave them, but I know we’ll be back every day when we can. Only family is allowed to come in to see them, and only people over 16, so Mr. K has to wait it out. When he came to visit me this morning before school, the first thing he said was, “Where are my babies?” :-D So cute.

I got to hold Nik last night for about 10 minutes. He put his little hand on my face. Rowan was too distressed and grunting a lot, so they didn’t let us hold him yet... Maybe tomorrow. I hope the boys can be in the same room soon, if they can. I want to see them together! I have heard it actually can help one twin if the other is a bit stronger or doing significantly better, they feed off each other’s energy. They have a joined room, so we can basically know what’s going on with both of them at the same time. We’ve got some wonderful nurses working there as well. Angela was our nurse today, and she loved talking to Casey about all the things they were doing. She enjoyed his questions (as most doctors do). I find that I don’t understand much of anything they are saying, which is kind of a bummer, but when my brain’s not as mushy I will try to educate myself on it all. I kind of go into a fog whenever I’m in there because I’m not sure what to do… I don’t want to hurt them so I stand back more, but they are in isolettes right now so I can’t really do much anyway. I know it will get better, and I’ll take any amount of time with them I can. I’ve been pumping and getting ~5 ml of milk each time I do, so I’m getting a decent start for them when they can actually eat. I’m glad that my milk is starting to come in so I can keep up with pumping and bring them ‘gifts’ when I come visit the NICU.

I think that’s about it for now… I’m sure I’m leaving something out. I’m pretty tired, and looking forward to any amount of sleep I can get tonight. It’s been a busy day! People in and out of my room ALL DAY LONG, since 5:30 this morning. I am ready to rest!

More later. Check out my Flickr page for the twin’s album and pictures Casey took last night… they are great!!

Love,

Ash

Official Stats: Nikolaus (Nik) Evan: 3 lbs 12 oz, 17 inches long, born at 11:34 p.m.
Rowan Elliott: 3 lbs 4 oz, 16,5 inches long, born at 11:36.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Amazing, Ash, you did such a great job during the pregnancy that I'm glad you were rewarded with an easy delivery. :) Can't wait to meet the sweet boys!! <3

Chimpsea said...

Wow! That is just incredible. I saw that you went to the OR and I knew one was still breech so I was worried you had a C (not that it would be bad, just harder recovery) but you didn't! I'm so happy for you. Just hang in there with the NICU. Celebrate the ups and don't worry about not knowing everything! You are a fierce mama.