Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Riese

Tomorrow is going to be one heck of a day, for many reasons. I'm going to *attempt* to go out to breakfast with everyone in the morning. I haven't been to a sit-down restaurant since November. In fact, I haven't been anywhere but a doctor's office since November, either! But the doctor said I could do it at 34 weeks, and tomorrow is pretty darn close. Funny conversation at the dinner table tonight:

Keaton: "Grandma and Grandpa and Daddy all have glasses!" This turned into many other observations of what everyone at the table had... eyes, elbows, and even skin. It was fun to hear him make all the connections. Then Casey said, "Daddy works, and Grandma and Grandpa used to work. And Keaton goes to school." And without missing a beat, Keaton said, "And Mommy goes to the doctor." Haha.... yes, yes I do. Again, that's about all I do these days!!

So other things are happening as well. Keaton's impromptu birthday party is tomorrow afternoon, and then Riese is going to his new home tomorrow night. It's going to be an emotional day, to say the least. Bobby, a vet tech at our vet, inquired about Riese and it panned out that he is a good fit for Bobby and his family. They have a 4 year old Boxer, a cat, and two children, and Riese met them all last week and got along with them wonderfully. We are really glad to know that not only will he go to a good home, but he'll also continue to see Dr. Tracy. Comfort during a very bittersweet time. We have been slowly working this whole situation into conversations with Keaton, so tonight when we sat him down and told him that Riese's last day with us would be tomorrow, I think he understood more than we thought he might. We told him Riese would go to a home that was bigger, and he would have a puppy friend to play with, and two kids that could play with him as well. When we asked him if he understood what was happening, he was able to explain that Riese was going to a home with more space. That is about as much as he really needs to know, and I'm glad he got even that bit out of it. I know tomorrow and especially Monday are going to be hard, but I'm glad it's happening before his birthday on Tuesday. Timing kind of sucks for all of it, but what can you do. So I think after we get past tomorrow night, saying goodbyes, and waking up without him Monday morning, the hardest part will be over. I so wish this didn't have to happen... but there really is no other way. It's safer for the twins and it's better for Riese. We will get another dog someday when the boys are all older and can play and take care of one as a team. Keaton did great with Riese, and I know he'll do great when the time comes again- probably a whole lot better. Just gotta get through the next 48 hours and I think we'll be in the clear. I have cried a lot in the past few days... I think tomorrow is going to be no exception.

So I THINK that is all that is going on tomorrow. Who the heck knows anymore. I hope Keaton's birthday party goes well and it keeps his mind off of everything. And ours too.

That's about it for now. More tomorrow!!

-Ashley

No comments: