Monday, March 15, 2010

Clusterfeeding, round 2.

Oh clusterfeeding, how I haven't missed thee.

Looks like Keaton is going through another growth spurt. We had a great weekend with him, and the feedings were going really well. Still no 'help'- he was able to latch on just fine each time. He was eating about every 4 hours, sometimes a bit more, and we were able to get larger amounts of sleep! Case fed him in the early mornings and allowed me to sleep, which was AWESOME (but if you're breastfeeding, a bit painful after 2 or 3 hours). I think I got 5 hours in a row of sleep, by far the most in the last month. However, I woke up in pain. I think it was still worth it, though. :)

Last night after Keaton's bath, he basically passed out and we seized the opportunity to go to bed 'early'. Riiiiight. About 30 minutes after my head hit the pillow, I heard the little guy chirping in his bassinet. I got up with him, and fed him a bit because he was acting hungry again. Then he passed out. Put him back in the bassinet, and about 45 minutes later, more chirping. He gets into this REM sleep cycle where he is asleep enough to smile and make faces, but then wakes up the second his binkie falls out of his mouth, and is suddenly ticked off again. So I got up, made sure the binkie was in his mouth, and would just lay down and he'd start fussing again. Around 1:30 a.m., he was at it again. This time he was rooting, so I fed him again. I had fed him less than 2 hours before that. I tried to push the idea of clusterfeeding out of my mind because I remember how much of an absolute BLAST it was previously! Got done feeding around 2:15, laid him down again. 3:15ish he was chirping. Reinsert binkie. 3:45ish, Case decided to get up and feed him his bottle. He ate another 4 oz, then proceeded to stay wide awake for Casey until he handed him off to me at 5 so he could get ready for work. 5:45, the kid is rooting again! I feed him for a little bit, then he passes out again. I take the opportunity to eat some breakfast, and before I know it, the kid's awake again and rooting again! I really, sincerely hope that this is not how the day goes, or I'm going to be one grumpy, frustrated, sore mommy.

Awesome... he was asleep in my arms just now, then I sneezed. Let the fussing continue!

Sorry to be such a bright ray of sunshine this morning... I guess the collective 2.5 hours of sleep is catching up with me right now. :( I'm going to attempt to move him again without completely ticking him off... I hope we get some good naps today!

More later,

Ash

2 comments:

Chimpsea said...

Oh my gosh, if this happens to me I might just actually die of fatigue. I think I'm so tired I can't sleep right now.

Good luck with your little guy. I'm happy to hear that he's latching and eating well! That is really good! You are doing a great job Ashley.

Ashley said...

I read your blog..l. oh my goodness! I really hope things get better for you soon!! I totally understand the 'so tired I can't sleep' thing. Thinking of you! Thanks for your encouragement!!!

I feel like today it's just: eat, cry, sleep if possible. Repeat. And that's just me.