Monday, May 3, 2010

Test Results

I'm a big believer that everything happens for a reason. This belief has gotten me through a lot of tough times in life. So when Casey called today to let me know that the vet said Charley's cells were consistent with lymphoma, a big part of me already knew it. We go back to the vet tonight for more bloodwork, and then to the oncologist on Wednesday to see what we do next.

I'm not sure what this week will bring, but for some reason this all feels like it's supposed to happen right now. I can't really explain why I think that, I just do. Charley has been this intrigal part of our lives. He came at the best possible time, and although it was hard at first to have a whining puppy who would be at the vet off and on the entire first year we had him, mainly for eating things he shouldn't, I know that he's made my life so much better while he's been in it. I remember Casey and I fretting and wondering if we made the right decision just a few months after we got him, mainly because we had no idea vet bills could cost so much! We spent well over $1000 in the first year of his life with everything he had going on. But all of it was totally worth it, because he has brought so much joy to our lives over the last 6 years. He is definitely one of the most hilarious dogs I have ever met. He thinks he's human, and sometimes I think we believe it, too. I just can't believe he might not be with us much longer.

Sorry, my brain is pretty foggy right now and I'm not sure if any of this is coherent. All I know is that we're probably going to learn a lot in the next few days, and I'm a little scared about what that will be. He's here right now, and that's all that matters. I just hope we can make him as happy as possible and that he won't be in any pain, if we can help it. I feel so sad for the kids on our street... they love him so much. For some of them, this may be the first time they deal with something like this, and that makes me even more sad. I think about all the people at Petsmart that love this dog and will be affected by this, too. He's just such a wonderful guy that has touched so many lives. Anyone that ever says a dog is "just a dog" has never met one like Charley Brown. I'm sure there will probably be a lot more entries like this... as I've said before, he was my first 'kid', and as reality sets in I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories and pictures to post about the guy. I'll update more later when we find out details. For now, my heart just hurts. :(

1 comment:

Chimpsea said...

Oh Ashley I'm so sorry to hear this about Charley. I remember meeting him and being amazed at how well-behaved he is! I have no doubt that he knows how much you and Casey love him, even with Keaton being around to love too. Give him lots of cuddles and love.