Monday, May 31, 2010

Ouch.

So we're starting day 3 of Memorial Day weekend, and so far we're one for one. Day one was great, and the boys and I had fun enjoying the beautiful weather and socializing with our neighbors. Day two, not so great.

It all started when we had this excellent idea of attempting to take Keaton to the neighbor's pool. Quick note- he is fine. That said, I feel like a total idiot for a number of reasons. We put a onesie on him but no diaper, thinking that if he peed, no biggie. If he went #2, well, since he does it so infrequently these days (every 2-3 days), we figured it wouldn't happen. (At this point in the story, I figure you can go a bunch of different directions with this. but the ending will probably surprise you. I would also like to say sorry to any dudes reading this next part...)

I am so used to Keaton having a diaper on that I didn't pay attention when I held him around the waist, and suddenly he lets out this horrible scream. I had basically pushed all his boy parts up inside him because of the onesie. Oh. My. God. I didn't even know it had happened until I got him back across the street to our house and Casey checked him out, which was no more than a few minutes later because as soon as he started screaming we basically booked it back home. Luckily after about 15 minutes, everything was starting to look normal again down there. We called the Pediatrician and they told us what to watch for and that we'd have to come to the ER if there were signs of swelling or fluid build up, but thank the good Lord everything went back to normal. During the time in between when Keaton was getting settled down and not crying as much, I had visions of him not being able to have kids someday, of us in the ER, etc. I can't tell you how terrible I felt. Another lesson learned... not only will we NOT do that again, but it's time to invest in a rubber diaper and whatever else you need so the little guy can enjoy the pool this summer. And on that note, I think we'll stick to the kiddie pool anyway. I am hyper paranoid about being in the big pool with him as it is, and my anxiety about that probably didn't help the situation yesterday. (I am indeed the same person who has only bathed my son a few times on my own because I am so scared of him falling into the water or having something scary happen when Casey's not here. I'm working on it...)

Man, it's hard for me to even write about that. Again, I cannot be thankful enough that he is okay now. After that horrible part of the day, things got much better. We hung out with our neighbors again last night, and Keaton enjoyed watching all the kids roast marshmallows in the neighbor's fire pit. I realize that I am super duper extra paranoid about everything now that I have a baby... I wouldn't let Casey roast marshmallows while holding Keaton because I was afraid that he could get burnt by the fire or the melted mallow. I know, I need to calm down, especially as he gets older. He WILL get hurt someday. He WILL get sick. And I will need to deal with that. I just hope that none if it will happen because of something that's my fault, and I can try to narrow my paranoia down to things like that, if possible. Ha!

Time for me to attempt a bit more sleep before we officially start the day. Baby K is asleep in my arms after his early morning feeding... he's been very consistent about sleeping from around 10 p.m. until 4:30ish, with a wake up call sometime in between for his binky, usually around 1:30 a.m. It's also nice because after he's done eating around 4:30, he goes back to sleep for a few hours. Woo hoo! Getting all of this sleep is starting to make me crave more! But things are so much better than they used to be... I thought I'd never get more than an hour or two of sleep at a time, and now I sometimes get 5! Any more than that might be painful right now... but I'll take whatever I can get.
Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend!

-Ash

No comments: