Saturday, January 26, 2013

Riese

Well, last night we came to a bit of a crossroads as a family, and decided that we are not able to care for Riese and give him as much attention and love as he deserves, so we are currently looking for a new home for him. This has been tough. Beyond tough. We did our research and really thought getting him would be a good decision for us at the time. We didn't know that I would get pregnant a few weeks later, and with twins, nonetheless. So, as time goes on and the dog gets bigger, and has more energy than any of us can handle currently (with Casey working 14 hour days and me on bed rest)... we can't afford to keep sending him to Puppy Day Camp or having neighbors walk and watch him for us all the time. We just think it's unfair to him on so many levels, and because he's not getting the attention and training he needs he is getting a little ornery and doing things we wish he wouldn't... this is just the best decision for us. And one of the hardest we've had to make in a few years. (Memories of Charley Brown come back because we are losing a member of the family, and that's always hard.)

All I really want is for the dog to be in a happy home. There have already been a few leads on families in the area that are interested in taking him. I know one of the families and they live in our subdivision, so we could keep in touch and know he's doing well. One of the families has an older Boxer as well, so if it works out they would be able to play together, which would be good for both of them. And he would still be around children. The absolute hardest part of this for me is trying to tell Keaton what is going on. It is his puppy, and of course he has excellent timing in running up this morning and hugging Riese while saying, "I love Riese! He is my puppy!" I am so emotional/hormonal at this point that I'm not able to see much of that without losing it. But I know this is what is best for our human family, and we will not get another dog until the twins are at least 3 and can handle it better. In the meantime we are thinking of getting Keaton a few more fish so it can soften the blow a little. I think he will be fine, but I think the first few days are going to be tough for all of us. I know Casey is having a very hard time with all of this, and I don't blame him. I'm hoping it all happens fast and we can just move on to whatever is coming next. I don't mean that to sound as bad as it probably does... I just know that the longer we drag this out, the harder it's going to be. We would rather make the transition before the babies arrive and all chaos breaks loose around here, because that will be hard on Keaton, and we will more than likely be very sleep deprived and stressed out for a few weeks. The dog doesn't need to feel the brunt of that, either.

Goodness. Too much going on! I would try to handle one thing at a time if they weren't all happening simultaneously!!!

-Ash


No comments: