Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Blood sugar and productivity

Today I was very productive (in a non-labor related sense). I was able to get things solved with my OB office all before 9 a.m.! And I didn't have to cuss anyone out, which was a perk. I also got a prescription refilled and spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with E-Scripts working out the kinks. I met with my Diabetes Counselor at the hospital and found out that it is going to be a lot less crazy/life-altering than I thought. I need to eat more veggies, a lot less sugar, and balance the carb intake with more protein. I can handle that. Even pricking my finger and testing my sugar isn't bad. I've done it twice now and have been well under the 120 mark. Woot! I'll try to keep it up and see how tomorrow goes. Two months at most of having to do it. I can handle it!

You know what's strange? Knowing that we only have 8 weeks (or less, of course) before we meet our boys. I don't know that it can really sink in until I see them... Then it will all be real. I also found out that some local friends want to throw us a shower, which was a very sweet surprise! I think getting baby things will make it real, too. We have been making a wish list on Amazon.com because a few people started inquiring about it. I have always been hesitant about baby showers- not because I don't appreciate the gifts and getting together with people, but honestly because I feel strange making a list of things for people to get us, especially after the first child. I don't know why I feel strange about that...I just don't want to seem pushy and I don't want it to seem like we want a hand out or anything... Lord knows we can use help getting the gear we will need for two more boys, but I hate feeling like I'm asking for it, you know? So yeah... I'm letting my pride down. Things are about to get crazy around here so I need to accept any help we can get. The Hetrick Twins will appreciate it all. And if you search for that on Amazon, you've found the list. That's the first and last plug I will give.

So we are almost at 30+2. They are growing a ton; My ribcage can attest. Their feet are up in the middle of my chest now, and while I'm not sure where else the boys will find to fit, I just hope they are comfortable. I am not, but it's temporary. It's harder to move and breathe these days. And sleep. The best sleep I get is between 3-5 or 6 a.m. when my alarm goes off to take my meds, or between 9-11:30 a.m. when I tend to pass out from lack of decent sleep the night before. I will sleep again someday. Keaton is going to start going to school three days/week starting next week, so when it's just me and the twins, I'll probably try to nap when they do. And boy do I hope Keaton keeps up his nap for awhile, because Monday he decided not to at all, and was awake from 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. and still tried fighting sleep at night. Tonight he passed out by 8, and has barely moved. You just never know with this guy...it's like he thinks he's going to miss out on something. Today was a nice surprise because he fell asleep and Mom didn't have to spend time arguing with him about going to sleep. It's rare...I will take it.

I guess that's about it. No doctors appointments until next Tuesday. Just going to keep chugging along! My immediate family believes I'll make it to 34 weeks, so I'm going to believe them. Sounds like a great goal, and one of my docs told me I wouldn't make it that far, so I'd love to prove them wrong!  :-)

Ash

No comments: