Thursday, January 31, 2013

What's goin' on. No really... what's goin' on??

Growth check! Baby A weighs 3.1 lbs, and Baby B is at 2.14! Woot! So here's what's going on. Everything looks good with them developmentally as far as organs, heart rate, etc. But, they are small. They haven't stopped growing, and it's not that they are exactly slowing down, they are just little bitty guys. If you are reading this and don't know me personally, know this: I am small. Like, 95 lbs, 5'0", Size of a 4th grader, as I like to say. (Because it's true.) So thinking that I would have large children is a little less logical for me. I was born- full term- at 5 pounds 1 ounce. Casey was born a tad bit early, at 6 pounds 7 ounces. Casey's not super tall- probably 5'7". We are both smaller folks, so my boys probably will be as well. And Keaton made it to 7 lbs- somehow- and was bigger than any of us thought he would be. If you consider what my body did to hold Keaton in, and I now have two babies in there... I just wonder how much bigger they could get and still stay in! The MFM doctor told me today that if they don't grow much more by 36-37 weeks, that's the point they would induce, because it's easier to feed them on the outside at that point if they are mainly concerned about weight gain, etc. So only time will tell.

Here's what I don't fully understand. Having Gestational Diabetes has restricted my diet. But normally they are concerned that mothers with GD would have babies that are too big. So from an outsider's standpoint, here's my conclusion (and I plan to ask my doctors when I go on Monday): Why restrict my diet if they want the babies to gain weight, and they won't go more than another month anyway, most likely? If I still try not to eat too much sugar and instead eat carbs like breads, pasta, rice, etc... if I don't overdo it, but I'm still able to eat more frequently, shouldn't it level things out? I don't know. But I do know that because of the whole 'small baby' thing, I now have to go do NST tests on Mondays, and have ultrasounds at MFM on Thursdays. Every week. Goodness!! That's okay. It's about the most exciting thing I get to do every week, so why not? And thank you, insurance, for being my friend right now. I am so thankful Casey has the job he does. I don't know how someone would do this without insurance.

I would like to get all my doctors in one big room. With Casey and I. And my medical records. I would like them to look at me physically and not as a number or statistic, because I am not one. I am a human being and I am a unique case. So when I have a doctor, like I did today, just sort of spout out numbers to me instead of feeling like he's actually looking at me and seeing how small I am and the probability that I'll have small babies, it annoys me. Maybe I should be more concerned about what he said, I don't know. I am concerned that the boys measure more like 28 weekers, but that's so much better than where they were, and I still have some fight left in me if they can stay in longer. We can do this! I just want everyone to be on the same page, and not feel like a messenger. I can make it to 34 weeks. I can do whatever I have to do. I'm not saying any of it is going to be easy, because picturing more tests like yesterday EVERY WEEK does not thrill me. But darn it, it's better than the Mag drip or being in the hospital. Just give me back my license to eat!! And if I don't get it back, it looks like I will as soon as the boys are born because I'm planning to nurse and I will need a ton of calories. Soooo... yeah. I'm going to just make it through the weekend and pick their brains Monday. Argh.

On the Riese front- he's becoming a hot commodity. I have a family coming to see him with their dog on Saturday morning. If that doesn't pan out, I've got a couple on standby for Sunday. I've had 4-5 additional inquiries just in the past 24 hours. I think it should be fairly certain now that he will have a home by this time next week. Which makes me sad personally, but happy for him. I love the dog, and just want what's best for him. I haven't really been able to talk to Casey about it much, because it makes him pretty sad. And it's not at all that I'm NOT sad, but I feel like in this situation, I need to step up and take care of it. He doesn't want to be here when Riese goes to his new home. I don't blame him. I hope Keaton takes it okay. We will see how it all pans out over the course of the weekend.

Mom is out of the hospital, and Keith is planning on flying her up tomorrow afternoon. The Hetricks are planning to stay until Sunday (I think Keith is going to help Casey with the basement a bit). It's going to be another busy couple of days. My local friends are throwing a baby shower for us Saturday afternoon, so I'm excited about that!! One of those friends wants to have a long-distance baby shower for us in the next few weeks, too. We feel very blessed. All the way around.

I guess that's all, really. I mean, it's probably not, but I'm going to stop writing for now. More later!! It's almost February. Like... tomorrow. Can't believe it.

-Ash

No comments: