Saturday, October 16, 2010

SC Vacation

I had forgotten how much I had missed South Carolina. We've been here since Wednesday and I am enjoying every minute of it and trying to really take it all in. I am going to have a hard time going back to Illinois, I'm afraid.

We arrived Wednesday morning, and went straight to the Chemical Engineering Department. We couldn't check into our hotel until 3, so we had time to kill, and we were most anxious to see our 'family' in the Department while we're here. It didn't take long for people to find out we were in the building, so Keaton got to meet a ton of people all at once. Maybe it's better that way, I'm not sure. He seemed to enjoy all of the attention, though- which is becoming a common theme on this trip. More on that later. Wednesday night we went out with our friend Eyma and had dinner and drinks. Then it was time to put Mr. K to bed. He hated the Pack N Play, so he ended up sleeping next to me in bed so we could both get sleep. Not so much fun.

Thursday we woke up and slowly got around to head to Charleston. We made it there before noon, had a tasty lunch at the Crab Shack, and went to Folley Beach. I took a TON of pictures and some video of the boys on the beach. I think Keaton enjoyed it, until a big wave came up and smacked him in the face. (We didn't actually take him out in the ocean, we just stayed right where the tide came up so he could get his feet wet.) He coughed a bit and the salt water cleaned out his nose (the saline drops got to rest for a night, so that was nice... haha)... but he was fine. He took a wonderful nap on the drive back to Columbia, and then we got ready to go to dinner with friends at Carolina Ale House. Dinner was nice (although we watched KU get the crud knocked out of them by KSU... such is life) and Keaton had fun meeting everyone. He also noticed that the Georgia women's Volleyball team was sitting behind us. All it took was the attention of one of them, and it was like a domino effect- soon almost the entire team was oooohhhing and aaahhhhhing over the kid. And he Ate. It. Up. My mom got him a shirt that says "Lock up your daughters"... it's becoming more appropriate every day, I think. Such a flirt!!!

After dinner we went to Walmart to try and look for a mattress or something that would be suitable for the PnP to make things more comfortable for Keaton, in hopes that he would actually sleep there through the night. We finally decided to get a sleeping bag to cushion the bottom of the crib because the padding they provided was shotty. So, we got back to the room and set up his bed, and Case and I went out in the living room. I spent the evening being paranoid about the sleeping bag and how fluffy it was. I think I woke up every hour to make sure Keaton was okay and hadn't rolled over or anything. Thing is, the bag was so fluffy that he sank down into it like a little nest and it ended up keeping him warm and didn't allow him to roll over. He did well almost all night (even though I didn't... thank you paranoia) and seemed happier in the morning and well-rested. I was thankful for the nap we took around 10 before we headed back to the Department to meet up with the staff for lunch. We went to DiPrato's, one of my favorite restaurants in Columbia. They have the most delicious Pimiento Cheese dip with pita bread... it's probably good that I temporarily forgot about it until we got here, because I know I would have craved it in IL and nothing would come close to the Columbia version. Lunch was nice, and it was great catching up with the office ladies. Keaton enjoyed the attention. I see a theme here, don't you? :)

We headed back to the Department after lunch. Keat was long overdue for a nap, and got pretty fussy, but we were able to see quite a few more people before we got in the car and went to the West side of town to meet Casey's cousin and my friend Aaron at Starbucks. Keaton took a nap on the way and woke up happy when Aaron and Christy arrived. It was a nice visit.

After a trip to Babies R Us to try and find a better mattress solution, we went back to the hotel and rested until dinner at 6:30 with Billy, Clay, and Patrick- my non-USC friends. Keaton did probably the best he has the whole trip during dinner- he was terrific! He sat up in the booth with us and 'chatted' with the boys. I think he enjoyed nothing being strapped into a high chair the whole time- in fact, we asked for one, but he ended up sitting in the Japanese-style booth with us (deeper, flatter seats) and never really needed any support the whole time. It was nice to eat the majority of my meal without having to hold him or help feed him because he entertained himself or was entertained by the boys or the waitress most of the time.

After dinner, Case and I took him to a new frozen yogurt place on campus called Yoga-hut. Then it was back to the hotel and off to sleep. Mattress #2 didn't work and he slept next to me again, but this time we both slept well.

I guess that's all for now. I'm going to attempt to nap with Keaton for a bit so Casey can get some work done. We're having lunch with Dr. Monnier and his wife, then tonight we're going to dinner with some students from the ChE Department. So far, vacation is going very well. :-D

-Ash

No comments: