Monday, November 1, 2010

And then there was one...

Somewhere on this planet, along with all our missing socks, lies a large pile of Soothies pacifiers (commonly referred to as "Bink" in our household).

It is ridiculous how many of these we've purchased in the last 8 months. The things are huge, so you'd think they'd be easy to find. Wrong. They bounce and roll for yards at a time. Once during our Mother/Baby class, Keat's Bink fell out and rolled all the way across the classroom. Someone 20 feet away from me said, "Did someone lose a pacifier?" and I raised my hand in awe.

It wouldn't be so terrible that we are unable to find what has to now be a double digit number of them if my son were not addicted to them. He learned to put Bink in by himself at 5.5 months. If I hide one in his toys, he seeks it out like a bloodhound on the trail of an escapee. If he could crawl, I might send him loose to track down the fallen brethren that have got to be somewhere in this house. Alas, I can now account for ONE Bink, which is currently in my son's mouth as I type this.

If I were smart, I would have either 1) bought stock in the company that makes these things, or 2) taken them away before Keaton's addiction started and before he found comfort in them while teething. Now I panic in the wee hours of the morning when he wakes up to eat and I can't find one. Just this morning I was crouched on the floor of the nursery, yardstick in hand, fishing the one that fell underneath the crib during the night.

My hope is that one day he magically wakes up and no longer cares for them anymore. Until then, I hope we stumble upon their hiding places so this mid-morning 'panic' can subside.

-Ash

No comments: