Thursday, January 6, 2011

Flour Frustration

Today has not gone the way I thought it would.

I got up this morning and went in to check on Keaton, only to accidentally wake him up. He ended up going back to sleep about 30 minutes before we were supposed to leave for mall walking, so I decided to nap with him and skip the walk. After an hour or so, we got up, got dressed, and headed out to my haircut appointment. That part went well. Then we drove to the grocery store so I could get beer and self-rising flour to make Beer Bread. I knew I couldn't go to Walmart b/c they don't sell beer, so we went to Jewel-Osco. I grabbed the beer (Guiness, for Casey) and headed to the flour aisle. Out of all of the selections of flour, they did not have ANY that was self-rising! The employees were even surprised that it wasn't there... so I decided to go elsewhere. I pulled the shopping cart up to my car, and attempted to unhook Keaton from the shopping cart seat... but he was stuck. The latch would not budge. I stood out in the cold for forever trying to get him unlatched, but nothing worked. Finally, I had to try and stand him up in the seat, bend his legs back a little bit, and pull him out. Luckily that worked, because I didn't want to go back in the store and say, "My kid is stuck in your shopping cart." I was flustered at this point, so I carried Keaton over to put the shopping cart back in the corral (I always put it back, I hate when people just leave them stranded in the middle of the parking lot!) but the cart slammed into the middle of the corral, so an employee who was working outside noticed us and got visibly frustrated with me. He said he'd take care of the cart, which was nice, but I noticed his attitude and it made me even more angry. Whatever.

I get Keaton strapped into his car seat, and we head for Walmart for the self-rising flour. I turn the corner, only to hear the clang of beer bottles... they tumbled out of the grocery bag and hit the door. Could have been worse. So I get to Walmart a few minutes later, and finally find a parking space. I forgot about the beer bottles, and opened Keaton's door; Beer bottles come rolling at me, and luckily I grabbed them before they hit the asphalt. Then I realize Keaton has fallen asleep. Poor guy... I hate getting him in and out of the car (which is another reason why I went to Jewel-Osco, thinking I could get everything in one trip...)... so I decide to forget the whole thing and come home.

Once again, the beer bottles fall over. This time it was loud enough when they hit the door that it woke Keaton up. Luckily he went back to sleep, but they tried rolling out at me again when we got home and I opened the door to get Keaton out. I am happy to report that the Guiness is safe and sound on my kitchen counter, and Keaton is napping in his crib. Things could have been a whole lot worse. I just realize that when one thing after another after another happens to me, I get really flustered and it's like a domino effect. Sometimes I wonder if my frustration amplifies that.

The Beer Bread can wait. My kid is sleeping and we're safe and warm in the house. Sometimes it takes blogging to put things in perspective. :)

-Ash

1 comment:

Lilli O said...

Get the beer bread in a box! All you have to do is add the beer! :)