Saturday, January 15, 2011

So Long Sofa

We desperately need a new couch. Okay, that's a little over-dramatic (but then it is ME writing this, so you should not be surprised!). Our couch was owned by a former Grad student in the Chemical Engineering Department. We got it for fifty bucks, which you really can't beat when you are a broke college student. We had heard things about its past which were a bit unflattering, but we didn't care at the time. Now, though, the thing is on its last leg, and I'm happy to say good riddance.

First of all, it's YELLOW. We found a cover big enough to fit it and cover up some of the ugly, but it is a pain in the gluteus maximus to put on, and I have broken a sweat doing so. Secondly, it is probably the deepest couch I have ever seen. My Mom and I have both gotten stuck on it. Like it's a huge rectangle of quicksand and all you can see are our little feet sticking out. I remember getting stuck on it once while I was pregnant and home alone, and I started to panic a little bit because I could literally not get out of it without rolling two times! The over-sized cushions shift a lot, so the three on the back move forward and down, pushing the seat cushions forward. This can create a little 'black hole' in the center, which is almost impossible to get out of. It also immediately jacks up the couch cover. We have to readjust it a few times a week, and the minute you sit down on it and get up again, it's a mess. Time for a change!

No one is going to want this thing, unless they enjoy recovering furniture or they want to own a couch the size of a Buick. But I guess if someone is desperate for furniture like we once were, maybe a free, yellow, over-sized, over-stuffed one will hit the spot. Any takers? (I will not hold my breath.) ;)

Naked couch, complete w/'black hole' and patch!
-Ash

1 comment:

Chimpsea said...

That is a huge couch! I'd be willing to bet you could freecycle it in no time though. And the best part is if you freecycle, you don't have to move it at all! We freecycled our old sofabed (heavy!) and this couple came over and loaded it up and off it went to a new happy home.